Monday, March 25, 2013

That. One. Thing.


* I will be the first to admit that I am no Bible scholar, I have much to learn. I'm just sharing with you what I feel God is telling me through prayer, simply because I hope it offers something to you as it has me.*


That. One. Thing.
 
My hubby and I were discussing this passage in the Bible recently. Luke 10:38-42 says: 38 Now as they were traveling along, He entered a village; and a woman named Martha welcomed Him into her home. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who was seated at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. 40 But Martha was distracted with all her preparations; and she came up to Him and said, “Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to do all the serving alone? Then tell her to help me.” 41 But the Lord answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are worried and bothered about so many things; 42 but only one thing is necessary, for Mary has chosen the good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
 
If that doesn't give us busy moms some insight into what our priorities should look like, I don't know what will. I can just imagine Martha frantically cleaning and cooking. I mean, Jesus was at her house! I frantically cook and clean when anyone comes over, but Jesus!?! I can see how easy it would be to miss out on the whole day with Him because you're too busy making sure everything is perfect and all of His needs are met. Can you? Have you found yourself here lately? So busy taking care of your earthly responsibilities that you're missing out on precious time with Jesus?

Distracted...
 
Look closely at what He said to her. He never said that what she was doing wasn't important, or that it didn't need to be done. Instead, He said that there was ONE thing necessary...time with Him. Martha was so distracted that she couldn't even make time for the King of Kings who was sitting in her own house!

It would take pages to list the many obligations you and I could possibly have at the moment. From serving at church to going to work, cleaning to homeschool preparations, our days are filled with seemingly endless tasks. And many of these tasks we do in His name, for Him...just as Martha was doing on that day. We can fill our time with wonderful, noble and necessary obligations, but if our schedules are too full to cultivate our relationship with Him daily, then something needs to change.
 
He desires for us to remove the daily distractions and make time for Him above all else.



One more thing...
What I've written above is what I really desire for you to take away from today's post. But I also think this principal applies to other significant relationships in our lives. There's always something to do for your kids, but sometimes it's good to put all of that aside and focus solely on them for a little while. The other “stuff” is great, but what they really want is YOU. The same can be said for our husbands. No matter the love language, our husbands need relational time with us, not just acts of service.








No comments:

Post a Comment