Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Breakfast is Served

Last summer, when I had zucchini coming out my ears, I wanted to think of a way to use it over the winter. I made the following recipe and everyone (even my non-fruit/veggie eater) liked it, so I packaged my zucchini accordingly.

I finely grated all of our extra zucchini throughout the summer and froze 1 cup in each baggie. This way, all I had to do was thaw it out and dump it in.


 
 
Zucchini Muffins
 
Combine these ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (you can use less, but we love cinnamon)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
* I always toss in some ground flax seed, as well
 
In a sperate bowl, combine these ingredients:
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup sugar
1 cup finely shredded, unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup cooking oil
 
Add dry mixture to zucchini mixture and stir until just moistened. Batter might be a little lumpy.
 
This recipe can be used for bread or regular sized muffins, but we like to make mini muffins! For mini muffins, I bake at 325 (350 for light pan) for 12-18 minutes, depending on your oven. This makes around 35 mini muffins, give or take a few.
 
 
 
And for added fun (and calories!), we like to make icing to go on top. Mix together a little melted butter, powdered sugar and milk until it reaches the consistency you want. Sometimes we make it thinner and it acts as more of a glaze, and other times we thicken it up like icing.
 
 
 
Also, on a completely unrelated note...my little guy started reading today! He was able to sound out all of the words on this page in his kindergarten workbook by himself. And considering that my baby girl knows all of her letters and their sounds, I'd say she may not be too far behind him! Mommy's pretty proud! <3
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment